Regular, loyal readers will know that every year I write 10 New Year’s Resolutions, then, at the end of the year, mark whether I’ve achieved these resolutions and make 10 more. It’s been my version of motivation all-bran – keeping me doing things productive in a world where I own a PS4 and Fifa 17 and there’s a kebab house 3 minutes walk from my front door. It’s also useful in that people read these and, sometimes, when the wind blow the right way, they become collaborative, or, at the very least I’m bullied into doing them where otherwise fear might have held me back.
So enjoy, comment on this post below, tell me yours or offer to collaborate. 2017 is here.
- Finish a play and send to theatres and competitions
DONE! So far 3 rejection letters but fuck it I sent it.
- Write and perform an hour long show
FAIL! I followed up my 2015 epic show with fuck all.
- Direct and edit 5 short semi-improvised films
Semi-Done! I made 10+ videos but they weren’t amazing.
- Write a solid 20 stand up set
DONE! Musical comedy. Of course no-one still books me. But I did it.
- Go to Aberystwyth (this is because I’ve been watching Hinterland on BBC and I now want to go to Wales for some inexplicable reason – made even more odd by the fact that everyone in the series is a murderer)
FAIL! Although I did get a new job in Wales, go to Harlech and Conwy and eat Bara Brith (sp?)
- Together with the other members of The Pete Turton Experience, perform a gig.
FAIL! Pete’s fault.
- Write 5 new comedy songs (much reduced ambition).
DONE with excess!
- Continue to do my work podcast (aiming for 20 episodes) but aim to interview: Mark Watson, George Egg, Ben Folds, Will Adamsdale, Dan Bye and Chris Stokes. Listen to it by clicking here.
FAIL. HUGE MASSIVE FAIL.
- Run a half marathon (this is in every year and fails epically every year on account of my knee being screwed so I can’t actually run more than a mile…but still, it’s a tradition… see, i even just copy and paste the same tired status now…).
FAIL – I am so unfit this is now a joke, a tragic joke at the expense of my clogging arteries.
- Visit the following people: Bren & Miri, Matt & Dom, Steve and Emily, Suz & Jamie, Dan and Emily, Paul and Fran (and anyone else who requests it!).
2/6 Which is a poor show..
So there we go, a decidedly average 4/10. However I also moved towns, changed jobs and proved my Maradona style skills at comedians football. But as Newcastle fans will appreciate, we all have a bad year now and then.
- Compere a gig regularly and get that key skill back.
- Create 5 short videos that are funny and, crucially, good.
- Write 10 new comedy songs and assemble them in an album.
- Write a new play, about cricket and murder and send to theatres
- Write a new hour-long storytelling show and perform it to wild acclaim.
- Write a new stand up projection show about truth and perform it to muted acclaim.
- Have piano lessons to make my songs better.
- Go to Aberystwyth (the new series of Hinterland is due out soon)
- Run a half marathon (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)
- Visit the following people: Bren & Miri, Matt & Dom, Steve & Emily, Suz & Jamie, Dan & Emily, Paul & Fran, Rachel, Nigel & Holly and Robbie and Mrs Robbie.
So there we have it. Resolutions to be fulfilled and broken.
What are yours?